Depression is the most common psychiatric disorder in the US, affecting 18% of adults in a given year. In Canada, 12 % of the entire adolescent and adult population ages 15-64 have depression, with 9% of men and 16% of women being diagnosed during a one year period. The consequences of depression result in profound emotional, occupational and social impairments causing difficulties in relationships, school and work performance, and social activities and recreation.
When the depression is not associated with an organic cause and is marked by significant emotional distress and obvious functional impairment, then the use of effective high dose supplements (orthomolecules) and botanical agents are required. Many patients with depression do turn to complementary and alternative medicine treatments. Orthomolecular and botanical treatments have some evidence of clinical efficacy, as well as an acceptable safety profile.
To date, there are numerous orthomolecular and botanical treatment options that can effectively reduce debilitating symptoms among patients with primary depression. Our naturopathic doctor offers many simple, yet very effective means of feeling and functioning at your best.
Some of the therapies we offer include:
- Brain Neurotransmitter testing & treatments (Gaba, Dopamine, Acetylcholine, Serotonin, and Glutamate)
- Bio-Identical Hormones balancing (DHEA, Cortisol, Testosterone, Progesterone, and Estrogen)
- Prescription (only if absolutely required, and if so only a short term course of treatment)
- Orthomolecular medicine (specific high dose supplements/vitamins)
- Specific use of supplements/vitamins/botanical medicines
- Vitamin D injections
- Vitamin B6, B9, and B12 injections
- Meyers Cocktail IV
Regardless of the approach, our doctor aims for long lasting long term improvement of your condition.